June begins our summer of LOVE and we’re bringing you everything we’re falling in love with this season from new must-see TV to amazing music and everything in between. Check out our picks of what to watch, read, see, listen and do (WRSLD) this month!
- Is our WRSLD list ever complete without including über director and producer Tyler Perry? This time Perry is back on the small screen with a new original series “The Haves and the Have Nots” which premiered on his best bud Oprah Winfrey’s network, OWN. Some compare the show to the southern version of the popular British drama, Downton Abbey which follows the complicated dynamic between the rich and powerful Cryer family and the hired help who work in their opulent Savannah, Georgia, mansion. The show stars actress Tika Sumpter and an ensemble cast of relatively unknown yet talented actors. The show airs on Tuesday nights at 9pm EST on OWN.
- It’s that time again for amazing black star power to converge in one place and this year’s BET Awards is sure to be a good party! First of all, it’s hosted by actor and funny man, Chris Tucker who always brings the laughs, and those nominated include: Beyoncé, Tamar Braxton, Rihanna and Elle Varner. Also watch out for performances by Chris Brown, Miguel (please no leg drop this time), Kendrick Lamar, R. Kelly and many more. The show takes place in Los Angeles and will be broadcast live on Sunday, June 30th on BET.
- Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson is many things: virtuoso drummer, producer, arranger, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon bandleader, DJ, composer, and tireless Tweeter. Now in his first book, Mo’ Meta Blues (Grand Central Publishing, $26) he reveals his own formative experiences–from growing up in 1970s West Philly as the son of a 1950s doo-wop singer, to finding his own way through the music world and ultimately co-founding and rising up with the Roots, a.k.a., the last hip hop band on Earth. The book is a punch-drunk memoir in which Everyone’s Favorite Questlove tells his own story while tackling some of the lates, the greats, the fakes, the philosophers, the heavyweights, and the true originals of the music world.
- Since we’re falling in love this June, we thought it fitting to include an ode to the number one New York Times best seller dating guide Not Your Mother’s Rules: The New Secrets to Dating (Grand Central Publishing, $11). The Rules is a way of dating that really works. Unlike other books and philosophies that preach “do whatever you want” and “anything goes,” The Rules offers a concrete set of do’s and don’ts so you can actually land the guy of your dreams. Ladies, run don’t walk to your nearest book store and pick up a copy.
- KING Bey is coming to arena near you! This month, Beyoncé’s The Mrs. Carter Show world tour makes its way to the U.S. with stops in Los Angeles’ Staples Center on June 28th and the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on the 29th. Guess this means there’s no baby on board if Beyoncé is moving full steam ahead with more tour stops. Yay for us! Either way, be sure to get you tickets early and check ticketmaster.com to see when the tour stops in your city.
- A couple weeks ago we stumbled upon the sweet sounds of Gabriel Royal – who dubs himself the metropolitan musician – while waiting for the “L” subway train in the Willamsburg section of Brooklyn, NY. His sound is ethereal and melodic and we couldn’t help but feel like we were standing in the middle of an indie romance film starring Ethan Hawke and Audrey Tatou. The song we heard that day was called “When You Came Around” which is probably one of the sweetest love songs we’ve heard in a long time.
- We had to pinch ourselves when we learned that one of our favorite vocalists, Alice Smith just released a follow up album to 2006’s “For Lovers, Dreamers & Me”. FINALLY – we get to hear her unique voice tell many an interesting story on her new album “SHE” which was released this spring. Some our favorite tracks include “Loyalty” and “Ocean”. The album is available on iTunes.
- R&B crooner Robin Thicke is back at it again this time with the über catchy single “Blurred Lines” featuring none other than Neptune beat-make Pharrell Williams and rapper T.I. We love this single for many reasons (it may be our unofficial summer anthem) and the video is a parade of sexy folks just having a good time. The single is available on iTunes. Check it out.
- Try The World – Don’t have a passport or visa to jet around the world in style this summer? Then you may want to sign up for Try The World which is the first subscription program that seeks out the finest Gourmet products and the best cultural finds from the world’s most exciting cities and delivers them to your door. We’re loving this month’s classic Paris box which captures the French art de vivre through a selection of some of the best French gourmet products. Sourced from across France, this limited edition box includes chocolate covered meringues, salted butter caramels, anise flavored mints, black olive tapenade, chestnut cream and other delicacies made by family-owned companies using traditional recipes. Visit www.TryTheWorld.com be sure to use the code ParisRocks and tell ‘em un’ruly sent ya!