We recently came across the concept of oil rinsing on Black Girl Long Hair:
What it is: Oil rinsing involves applying an excess amount of a liquid/liquefied oil or butter to hair, allowing to sit for a short time (5-20 minutes) with or without heat and then proceeding to rinse it off with water. You can optionally follow up with a conditioner to remove even more oil but you can equally just proceed to blot hair dry and style.
Why do it:
- Stop hair feeling crispy and dry after a henna or protein treatment especially if a moisturising conditioner did not help.
- Refresh hair (increase moisture and softness) without shampooing or co-washing it.
- The extra oil is great for adding slip to help detangle hair and reduce friction between the strands.
- If your hair has natural curl definition, oil rinsing can help reduce frizz.
- As oil is involved, hair shine will increase.