– by Perri Lembo
The Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask claims to be a cure-all for damaged hair, chock full of proteins and rare nourishing oils, a dream solution for dry damaged hair. While Carol’s Daughter generally has a great reputation, we scoured the web to see what reviewers have to say about this little product with big promises.
The reviews were very mixed on this one, but there were some common assertions:
- The repairing mask has a very strong long-lasting scent. Some ladies loved this but it was overwhelming to others. It is described as a strong floral scent and many reviewers said that it left their hair fragrant for days, even up to a week.
- This product is packed with protein. Many said it stopped breakage and repaired damage. However, too much protein can leave hair brittle if it doesn’t need it.
- This stuff is very expensive. Do not use according to instructions. Most reviewers used less product and left it in for longer and saw great results. Being strategic about usage can make this jar go a long way. Several people who tried the product left it in for 1-2 hours.
- Some reviewers saw results after just the first usage but many needed to use several applications before seeing improvement.
- Some said that this product does not have good slip or work as a detangler.
All in all, the product is worth trying if you’re suffering from damage and don’t mind splurging a little. It’s currently being sold on Amazon for $23 bucks a pop!
what the manufacturer says
This deeply repairing treatment nourishes your hair from the root to ends to undo unwanted damage and prevent it in the future.
Strengthening your hair is the only way to lengthen it so you can do whatever you want with it. To really fortify fine, fragile or chemically treated hair requires major nourishment found in the Monoi Repairing Hair Mask. Added to the rejuvenating Monoi Oil – a repairing Tahitian blend of the Tiare Gardenia Flower and Coprah Coconut Oil – is rebuilding Bamboo Water and protective Hydrolyzed Silk. PLUS, No Parabens, No Petroleum, No Mineral Oil, No Artificial Colors.
- 4.6 out of 5 lips on ulta.com
- 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com
- 4.2 out of 5 lipsticks on makeupalley.com
- 4.6 out of 5 Curls on naturallycurly.com
what vloggers say
what commenters say
I am currently transitioning and not really a fan of Carol’s Daughter Products. I got this Product as a free sample and decided to give it a try. I have to say that it left my natural hair shiny and moisturized. But my relaxed ends were left dry looking and stringy. It is a product I would like to try again when I am all natural I think I would have better results. I wouldn’t suggest using it when you are transitioning.
– naturalgirl85, Type 4b
I received this deep conditioner and shampoo as a Christmas gift and from the first time I used it I was impressed. My hair was breaking as I was not taking care of it properly and literally after the first deep condition my breakage stopped substantially. It also is thick and smells delicious! This is probably the best hair mask I have used since I started my natural hair journey in July 2011. It is a little pricey but it is well worth it!
– CurlyDST, Type 3a
This is one of my favorite hair masks. I love that there are no silicones or harsh ingredients. It has a very strong floral smell but it softens after you rinse the mask out. It leaves a very pleasant, light smell in your hair. If you follow the instructions and only leave it on your hair for several minutes, it’s not that effective. I left it on my hair for 2 hours. Wow, what a huge difference! The texture of my hair had changed dramatically. It felt baby soft. It claims to help damaged hair but I’m not so sure about that. …Regardless, this mask has proteins to help make hair stronger. Beware of using this too often. Too much protein will backfire. There is a fine line between just enough protein and too much. Too much results in MORE breakage.
where to buy it
Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask can be found at Ulta and Sephora stores, Beauty Supply stores and online.
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Cetyl Esters, Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oiol, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isohexadecane, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Phyllostachis Bambusoides Juice, Hydrolyzed Hibiscus Esculentus Extract, Cassia Angustifolia Seed Polysaccaride, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Extrac, Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethiconol, Octyldodecanol, Ceteareth-20, Quarternium-91, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone